Can I carry out my home renovation remotely?

Yes. Most of our clients do not live permanently in Spain, so we are specialists in carrying out refurbishment projects remotely.


Could I leave the keys with you and you will be in charge of the whole process?

Yes. Our company is responsible for the custody of the keys and their correct use.


How long will it take?

Once the refurbishment project has been evaluated and the budget accepted, we will communicate a precise start and end date for the work


How will the work be organized?

After a first check on site of the work to be done, we will prepare a proper estimate. Once the estimate is accepted, we will sign a contract and the client will make the payment of 60% of the total budget to request the City Council for the corresponding work permits and start the project. From there we will constantly communicate with the client also through sending photographic files to report on the development and progress of the work.


Will I receive guidance in the selection of materials?

Yes. During the first visit to the property you will receive several options for combining materials, colors, prices and quality.


What is the payment schedule?

The payment will be carried out through bank transfer in the following way:

60% of the total budget at the beginning of the renovation project

40% remaining 10 days before the end of the work



What taxes must I pay when buying a property in Spain?

If it is a new home, the most important tax is VAT, which in 2020 amounts to 10% in the Peninsula. A second tax must be added to VAT: that of Documented Legal Acts (AJD). This tax is still paid by the buyer and will depend on each Autonomous Community: in Andalusia it amounts to 1.5% of the price.

On the other hand, if it is a second-hand home, the most important tax is the Property Transfer Tax (ITP). In this case, the amount depends on the percentage that is applied on the deed price and the Autonomous Community in which the property is located. As a general rule the rate ranges between 6% and 10%. In Andalusia the rate is 8% up to € 400,000 for each taxpayer and, from that figure on it will be 10%. Don’t worry, we will prepare and present the tax on your behalf and we will give you all the documents at the end of the process so that you can have all your paperwork in order.

How can I know if the property I want to buy is correctly registered and up to date in the payment of taxes and supplies?

It is very important to check if the property you want to buy is free of charges, if it has a mortgage, if there are liens on it or if there is any other debt. This phase is known as due diligence and here GAIA will request a Nota Simple from the Land Registry and will provide you with all the necessary information. Likewise, we will request the City Council a certificate of urban planning legality in case there is any type of condition that is not recorded in the Land Registry and a certificate that shows that there are no IBI debts (Council Property Tax). In addition, GAIA will request a cadastral certification to verify the accuracy of the data present in the Land Registry.

Who pays the Notary and Land Registry expenses?

If the parties do not agree on anything, or if they indicate in the contract that it is “according to law”, the legislation of the competent Autonomous Community will apply, which in Andalusia is stipulated in the Civil Code, art. 1.455. However, in the private deposit agreement, it is usually agreed who assumes the expenses, including that all be paid by the buyer, except the municipal capital gain, which by law corresponds to the seller. If the seller were a developer, the buyer could not assume any expense that by law must be paid by the seller.

Approximately, how long does the purchase process take?

Once the due diligence phase, which lasts approximately 7 to 10 days, is fulfilled, we will begin to organize completion date at the Notary. The total term to complete the purchase is about 30 days in case the buyer does not need financing.

If you need financing, the minimum period will be 45 days to complete the purchase.


What taxes must I pay when selling my house?

When selling your property you will have to pay fundamentally 2 taxes: the Tax on the Increase in the Value of Urban Land, known as Municipal Capital Gain (“Plusvalia”), and the capital gain or loss, in the self-assessment of the Personal Income Tax in case you are a tax resident in Spain.

If you were a Non-Resident in Spain, at the Notary, the buyer will retain the amount corresponding to the Municipal Capital Gain and 3% of the price of the deed as a Capital Gain derived from the Non-Resident Income Tax. In case of non-profitable sale, we will help you to claim that 3% paid to the Tax Office.

It is also important to note that the Real Estate Tax (IBI) must be paid by the taxpayer who is the owner of the property as of January 1st of the year of completion, unless there is an agreement between the parties to prorate it.

Who is in charge of changing the ownership of the supplies after completion?

Before completion at the Notary, GAIA will ask the seller for a copy of all receipts for supplies (electricity, water, gas, etc.) and the community details to proceed to the change of ownership within 7 days after completion.

How can I know the approximate amount of the Municipal Capital Gain tax (Plusvalia) before completion?

In the verification and drafting phase of the deposit agreement, GAIA will calculate the approximate expenses of both parties, seller and buyer. We will provide each party with a detailed breakdown of the final numbers of the sale.

What documents do I have to provide to sell my house?

When selling your property it is necessary to present documents that prove you are the owner. The main document to provide will be the previous title deed, that is, the one granted when you purchased the house. If you cannot find it, we will help you request a copy from the corresponding Notary Public office with the help of the Nota Simple that we will have previously requested. Also, you will have to take with you your official ID document, DNI or Passport and NIE, so that the Notary can attest that you are the owner of the property to be sold. In case you were a foreigner living permanently in Spain, you will also have to provide a Tax Resident certificate issued by the Tax Office to avoid having 3% of the price retained. But do not worry! GAIA will help you in this process by booking an appointment for you and accompanying you to collect your certificate.



Who is in charge of buying sheets, towels and other equipment to start the holiday rental management of my apartment?

The owner must take care of delivering the property with everything necessary for proper holiday rental management in relation to its occupational capacity.

Do I have to register my property in the Andalusian Tourism Registry?

Yes, the property must be registered in the Andalusian Tourism Registry (RTA). We will offer you all the legal and tax advice you need to correctly register your holiday apartment.

Who is responsible for cleaning and laundry at each check-out?

Between stay and stay we will take care of cleaning, laundry and good maintenance of the accommodation. We have our own professional cleaning and laundry team.

Is the holiday rental management service provided with exclusivity?

Yes, the holiday rental management contract is with exclusivity for a period of one year.

What happens in the event of any damage in my apartment?

At Gaia Group Spain we have a comprehensive home maintenance team, so, depending on the damage, we will take care of sending the appropriate professional and, in case of damage caused by the guest, we will take the appropriate steps through the adequate channel to claim the amount of the damages caused.